After the riots had been going on for several days, it was time for me to hit the road for an unexpected 2,000 mile road trip. During that week, we saw very little news. I must admit, I was very refreshing and renewed my belief that most people are good.
When life gets to be too crazy, here are 10 Things to Renew Your Faith in Mankind. Some days, it helps to just take a step back and look at the situation a little differently.
1. Turn off the news
2. Take a break from social media
3. Take a drive and look around your community. Is there violence on every street corner like the we are being led to believe.
4. Park the car and take a walk through town or a park, practice social distancing, of course. Wear a mask if you want. Are most people being civil to one another?
5. The next time you walk by someone from a different ethnic group, speak to them, smile or wave. Observe what happens. Was the encounter violent or hateful?
6. Listen. What sounds do you hear? Is it riots, protests, sirens? Or maybe birds, traffic, and people talking or laughing?
7. Look and smell for smoke from burning buildings. Do you see burned or broken remains littering your town? If you do, how many blocks do you have to go down before you no longer see the destruction?
8. Look at the faces and eyes of the people around you. Do you see hate in their eyes, or on their face if they're not wearing a mask? Are peaceful faces the rule or the exception?
9. Hop back in your car, remember to use the hand sanitizer, and drive around some more. How many things still look like they did five months ago? Do you see peace or turmoil in your neighborhood?
10. Take time to step outside and enjoy a sunrise or sunset from time to time.
I hope this helps a little to restore your hope in humanity. And remember, wash your hands with soap and water when you get home. (wink)